7.16.2013

Homemade Reece's Cups

So I showed these yummy treats off on instagram the other day (artsyorange) and several of you asked for the recipe.  I'd share the funny story behind these babies, but it wouldn't be as funny to you.  That sounds mean, but you know when someone is telling you something about a funny situation but you weren't there so the entire time you are thinking, "what the heck are they telling me this stupid story for?"  Yeah.  That's the story.  Bottom line is....after you make them you'll understand why my NOT wanting to share these with strangers on a scrap-booking retreat is a funny story.  Because you won't want to share them with you own husband or children.  Just sayin'

I'm not really sure where this recipe came from.  At some point in my childhood my mother started making the delightful treats that contain 3 full sticks of butter.  I'm sure she has a story, but I don't want to get into a conversation with her about it right the second.  You think I'm long winded?  Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.    Here goes:

Homemade Reece's Cups
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 sticks of melted butter (I buy unsalted.)
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (I choose Jiff because "choosey Mom's choose Jiff."
12oz package of  semi-sweet chocolate chips
another stick of butter (I told you there were 3 sticks right?)

Blend first 4 ingredients with a mixer, then a fork.  Pat into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Mix the last two ingredients on the stove in a double boiler. (Disclaimer here, I do not own a double boiler and not sure they even make them still.  I just keep stirring in a pot on the eye until melted.  I also think this recipe is pre-microwave days.  You could just melt it in the microwave.  Don't tell my mother that.)  Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter mixture and spread evenly.  Cover and place in the refrigerator.  Wait until chocolate has hardened to cut.  Then go ahead and cut a rather large piece for yourself.  Because you will want to after one bite eat the entire pan in one sitting.  Yep.

Okey dokey.  There ya go.  A family recipe shared from my kitchen to yours.  Next week I might share the famous graham cracker brownies.  First I've got to work off the 5 pounds I've gained from these Reece's Cups.

1 comment:

Tammy Gilley said...

Oh dear. I might have to whip these up. :) Thanks for the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails