Running the Peachtree Road Race

The Peachtree Road Race.  I ran it.  Yep.  For the first time, last week.  I'm not sure why, but this race has always been high on my list of must run before I die.  Kinda like the marathon.  You hear about the race, especially living here in the suburbs of Atlanta.  It seems a bit magical.  And the t-shirt is the revealed upon race completion, which I understand is the biggest deal.  I read up on it a little and found out that the first race was run on July 4th, 1970.  That's before I was born peeps.  110 people gathered at the corner of Peachtree and Roswell and ran the first 6.2 miles event. The event is still every 4th of July in the deepest heat we have here in Georgia.  And it still draws people from all over the world!
This year however, it's been raining a little here in Georgia.  hahaha....understatement right?  In fact, I left my house that morning in the pouring down rain.  I was ready to run no matter what.  But by the time we got up to the start line, it wasn't raining.  And it didn't rain at all the entire race!  So how do you run with 60,000 people?  Well, thanks to modern technology they now have what's called "chip time".  Usually its this little device in your number bib.  When you cross the start line it activates the timer and ends when you cross the finish line.  They also sort you into waves.  So instead of "on your mark, get set, GO!" they have you in packs according to how fast you run.  This year there were 20 waves.  I missed my wave because of the potty line, but somehow caught up to my pack.  Oh, and I should also mention this race is based on a lottery system.  Basically they open registration and you put your name in a hat.  I didn't even try this year not really knowing where we'd be this 4th of July. (It's our first not being a State Representative and having events to attend all day.  I thought we might be at the beach)  A friend from church offered me his number.  So I ran as a 52 year old man named Jon.  I upped the bar for his time next year.  hehehe...And he looks really hot and blond this year in his photos. 
After the race we all piled up into the mud bath, I mean Piedmont Park.  There was a huge stage with music and hospitality tents everywhere.  I was solo, so felt kinda stupid walking around.  So I headed back to Marta and went home.  I found out later that my time was 1:06.  And that was stopping a couple of time to take photos, because I am cheesy like that.  I was tickled with my time!  Next year I won't stop for photos and see how fast I can run it.  This was my 2nd 10K race to run.  I kinda like this distance.  Enough to make you feel it, but not so far that the recovery sucks the life out of you for a few days.

Well....summer is flying by.  I'm taking it very easy on my body.  Healing slowly.  I've more good days than bad now.  The doctor decided that my final diagnosis is just IBS.  Which kinda sucks, but I'm learning to manage it.  The fact that I ran that race in such good time without incident makes feel even stronger.  I'm sleeping well....nesting in the house...making art.....getting my work into new places....and most of all just enjoying my family.    As always, thanks for visiting me here in my journey. 


Sydney Cohn said...

Proud of you for running, Jenni. I had a number but am deferring for next year. Too run down and out of shape with school. I've done it 2 or 3 times though. As for your diagnosis, I have it as well (I'm sure you're schocked) and can email you some things.

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with Shortest and earn $$$$$$ from every click on your short urls.

Related Posts with Thumbnails