8.10.2009

Handmade Wedding Cake Toppers

Along with the beautiful bridal portraits I've made for Wedding 101, I've been asked to create some vintage inspired wedding cake toppers. (Amy has a glass case just waiting for these!) I had the best time gathering materials for this project. Every flea market and antique store I've visited lately I've gathered vintage hats with millinery, old cake toppers themselves, lace, old buttons and more. Putting these three together was harder than I had expected because I had almost too much to choose from! I only had 3 bride and groom sculptures, so once I find more I have plenty of trinkets to make more!


This is my favorite. The base I found at a flea market. I knew immediately what it could be used for, with a sparkly wedding bell in the base and bride and groom on top! All the millinery came from a blue hat I bought at Scott's. I suppose it could go along with the "Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue"!






As I was researching for this project I found that quite honestly cake toppers are hideous at local market places. I saw one last night that had a bride dragging the groom by the collar. Seriously, what does this say about marriage? In the magazines it appears that many brides are choosing flower arrangements and monograms. I had a beautiful Lenox china cream bride and groom. I found it while choosing china with Billy and knew it was what I wanted for the top of my multi-tiered cake. I hope that a bride comes into Wedding 101 and says, "That's it. That's my topper."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails