I guess it was about two weeks ago that I had a total meltdown about our new home. Yep. Not a good meltdown either. It was the, "why did we buy this big home that now I have no time to make ours? It doesn't feel like it's our home Billy. I feel like we are living in a stranger's house." All the while crying my eyes out. Yep. Perhaps I was at a breaking point with the new job, teaching out of state for first time, getting ready for a giant show all within 2 months of buying new house and starting new job, while getting ready for teaching in Portland and the Country Living Fair. Just for a little more drama I'll throw in the fact that our two oldest cats died as well. Oh, and one disappeared. So yeah, this house was feeling a little less like a place I wanted to be.
I bet this comes as a bit of a shock for many of you. Especially those that had ever been inside our little house. It was....little. And if one more person told me, "I don't know how you live like that" I was going to punch them. We were fine. Loved the house and all the layers. And now we live in a giant khaki colored box. Seriously inside and out the house is khaki. Now, don't get me wrong, neutral is nice. And if one more person tells me to just "live with it for awhile" "or it's just paint" I may not punch, but cry on them. Because I can not live in the khaki box anymore. Even Billy, whom never talks decorating asked this, "Do you think the house has a little too much khaki? There's khaki everywhere....even the halls, etc.... and the exterior!!" He about made me roll over in laughter. And that was my cue. Time to paint.
So my head is spinning with ideas. But until I have this done I can't do this....etc. So here's the plan:
1. Curtain making Kathy came Friday to pick up all the fabrics for the den, kitchen and dining room. All Amy Butler amazing large patterns. I know....I am a tad bit addicted to her fabrics.
2. Handy Man Daniel is coming tomorrow to measure and give me a quote for bead board below the chair rail. Because that is the other thing grating my nerve.....chair rail is freakin' everywhere.
3. Paint samples have been purchased and painted around the room to be sure. I love that you can spend $3 for a sample and make swatches all over. I want a blue to make the room feel more spacious and open. It's not a small room, but very little natural light makes its' way in due to the screened in porch on the back of the house. Not complaining about that feature for sure!!
4. Small bath and hallway to laundry were painted yesterday by me. I got up early and started working. Billy came in and exclaimed, "WHAT are you doing?" Painting. "Oh, ok. You going to paint the laundry room too? It's khaki too Jenni." I know Billy, I know.
5. New lighting everywhere. Like everywhere. My man Billy is so good at installing lights and yesterday already replaced the kitchen and half bath fixtures!!
Well, super lengthy post. I've taken lots of before and after pics. It may be awhile before it's all really done. But already painting the bathroom and hallway my pale honey has made my frown turn upside down!! Are you guys working on any nesting projects in your houses?