Cupcakes....all the craze, right? I actually made some amazingly yummy (yes, bragging rights good) for William's party Saturday night. Now, they were not spectacularly decorated by any means. But yummy in the tummy they were! The cupcakes below, well let's just say I wouldn't go eating these anytime soon. But cute worthy they are! I made these with my students in 4th grade and thought you know what, these would make super fun Valentine Gifts or decoration goodies! I can totally see cute Valentine love note toppers on them.To make these cupcakes it is so easy peasy. Just follow the steps photoed below and add your special touch. I'd love to see your version if you make some....so email me at email@example.com!
2. line the muffin tins with your cupcake liners. then wad one side of newspaper into a ball
3. soak the newspaper in the starch
4. place the newspaper in the liner. this is the base of the cupcake
5. soak the paper towel in the starch
6. using a twirling motion place the paper towel on top of the newspaper soaked ball. you can add more towels for fluffier cupcakes
7. allow the cupcakes to dry in the muffin tin until completely dry. mine took several days, but we did this in the winter and they had to be dried inside. I also added white Elmer's glue around the edges to be sure the paper towel gripped the edges of the liner well.
8. drying still in the muffin tins
Very real looking, right? We then added lots of yummy colors to our cupcakes using acrylic paints. I used the basic .99 paints. While the paint was still wet we sprinkled the cakes with glitter. I can see these being magical with just pixie dust glitter and soft pink paint....or pale blue paint. Oh, what cute baby show gift take-aways! And party favors....and well you get the idea. These could created for any number of occasions. Mine were made using school supplies, which are limited....you however can go bezerk making these pretty tasty treats!