4.18.2009

Being Creative

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun."
Mary Lou Cook

I've always considered myself creative. An artist, well that came quite a bit later in life. In fact, I still get a bit giddy when I say what I do for a living to those who ask, "what do you do outside the home?" I love the reactions. In some situations it's like deer in headlights, others it's disbelief that you can make a living making art, and others it's really? An artist? Hummm... I bring this up because yesterday during my quiet time at Barnes and Noble reading my favorite magazines and having coffee, I read about an artist that basically told my story in her article. I guess we are kindred spirits. It was great. It was inspiring. I really feel like right now I am on the verge of something.....you ever have that feeling? Like something really good is about to happen. My creativity is on overload right now. I can't get the paintings done quick enough before I want to make another. My studio time is just fun. Doors are opening and I am jumping in.
I found the quote above in one of my inspiration magazines, La Vie Claire. If you've never picked it up before, do. The photography alone will take you to new dreamy places. I just love finding quotes that say how I am feeling, and this one hit the nail on the head for the moment. I've certainly made mistakes, and taking risks in art is necessary. And as far as the fun goes, well I think you can tell in my paintings that this comes quite naturally for me.
At this moment I have 15 new paintings all started around me, the one on my art desk is another bike. This time it's going to be blue and it's on the beach. I'm going to add some collage in the composition too. I am really liking the paper and paint combination. Lily, the silly dog is in my lap and Ellie, the robust cat is sleeping on my sketchbook in front of me. It is going to be a great day. It just is.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails