9.11.2010

From Point A to Point B

Things are really progressing in my art studio these days.  I really can't WAIT to show off the new birds and their cages!!  The studio is brimming with excitement. 

Thursday night while William had baseball practice Mailey and I scooted off to the local Barnes and Noble for some magazine therapy.  She's understands this therapy now and actually finds her own magazine to get lost in.   While cruising through one of the crafty mags I saw an ad for this book: 

So we hustled over to the crafty book section and on the bottom shelf when I was about to give up I found it. it's written by an artist I've admired from afar for some time now, Carla Sonheim.   Last night I nestled into my bed and read it.  I know, most of you probably just look at pictures in magazines and books like these.  But I READ it.  Devoured it actually.  You see, before I called myself an artist and was just an art educator, I filled my sketchbooks with whimsical drawings of little girls, fairies, ballerinas, cows, chickens, horses, hippos, giraffes and more.  All in black fine tip sharpie.....all never made it off the pages of those sketchbooks.

This morning with my coffee in hand and a quiet studio, I pulled out those sketchbooks and started pouring over the pages.  And wondered to myself how did I get form these amazing little doodles to what I am now?  I miss drawing horses with giant teeth and pencil legs.  I miss giving bunnies fabulous purses and high heel shoes.  sigh....So Drawing Lab in hand and my new sketchbook I am going to let myself go and doodle today.  I wanted to give you a heads up because Mattie and I may be introducing some new friends to her social circle in the very near future. 

If you haven't already, please be sure to read my interview with the talented Tiffin Mills of Linwood Avenue below!  Have a wonderful , creative weekend!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

So funny to see your post! My copy of the book arrived yesterday from Amazon. Haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet but am anticipating a glorious time.

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh I have to get that book - keep seeing it on blogs. Have fun doodling today. Every time I try to get that youthful spontaneity in my doodling - the old brain just shuts down... must remind myself I am only as old as I feel right?

teresa said...

Thanks so much for sharing the book--it is exactly what I am needing right now! Amazing how that happens sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Funny you posted this I'm waiting for my book to arrive anyday now from amazon.

Donna Wynn (Yogiknitgirl) said...

I just ordered this book from Amazon this week and got the notice it was shipped...I am anxiously am waiting for it to come. Your blog is so wonderful and I am enjoying your posts very much! We all need to get back to the playing and doodling!

LR said...

i was so lucky last month to win a copy of this book in a blog giveaway. so much fun.

Liv @ Choosing Beauty said...

Awesome - thanks for the recommendation! Looks fabulous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails