10.27.2010

Cherish

It was about two weeks ago that as a family we were laying around, enjoying the fall weather and a little Auburn football.  For some reason late Saturday night I decided I HAD to make something.  The kids were situated, Billy was situated, and I was antsy.  So off to the garage I went seeking out supplies.  I didn't want to paint and the family dislikes it when I make jewelry because its loud.  Hmmm... so I grabbed a block of floral foam, large bowl and paper mache.  Yep.  Oh, and a steak knife and some duck tape.  This beautiful angel was created from those ingredients.

I love to take pictures of my process, and I will show you one day, but for now here is the end result.  After finishing the mache body, I baked her....and baked her....until finally all that paper mache was dry.  And then she sat for almost two weeks.  I wasn't ready to make her come alive I suppose.  Then Monday I started painting, adding glitter, and adding details.  And then the sewing machine came out for wings and the tutu.  And more glitter was added.  It was such a nice change from my normal art making routine.  So nice.

For now Cherish is sitting in my studio looking down on my art desk.  I like having her there.  She's a gentle reminder that I do Cherish this little life of mine.  And embrace all it's ups and downs.  It has been a strange and very emotional month for our family on so many levels.  I think this angel was created by my hands to symbolize the change that is coming and to remind me that yes, being an artist is at the core of my heart.  And that although some of the change is uncomfortable, it is a part of the process of growing and becoming a stronger self.




So here are some of the things I cherish right now:  family, friends, a good night's sleep, a yummy dinner, finished art projects, eager art students, time alone, time with good company, a sleeping cuddling dog on my lap in my art chair, kissing my children good night, watching them sleep, my vision for my creative career, and last.....my supportive and strong husband. 
I hope you are having a lovely week and are able to take some time to think about what you cherish.

9 comments:

Dianne said...

She's lovely...

Isabel said...

she is adorable:O)

Pam said...

She is beautiful!! I Cherish your talent thank you for sharing with us.

Our Southern Nest said...

I love her! She is beautiful!

JoyaJewelry said...

oh I heart so much!!!! She is so wonderous :)

~ Lollipop Doodles ~ said...

Amazing work! Hope Cherish brings peace and tranquility to your heart and home. Hugs to you! Can't wait to see how you did it step by step. FUN!

gypsysticks said...

beautiful...

Jen Bowles said...

Cherish is wonderful! I love that you used a steak knife to help create her ;-)

Lia said...

Molto carino:Very nice from ITALY

Related Posts with Thumbnails