6.02.2010

Keep Looking Up

I am a regular reader of Kelly Rae Robert's Blog.  Have you ever been on her site?  A few years back when I decided to take this leap of faith into the world of being an artist I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a bunch of creative books.  One being hers, Taking Flight.  And now she is offering an e-course.  And I am totally, totally excited.  This morning I read the first few postings and now just have to share some thoughts. 

Have you ever really thought about taking on a creative career?  Well, I know first hand that making that decision to leap into being a creative entrepreneur full-time is not an easy decision.  I think back on that time in my life I realize how full of fear I was.  Fear of disappointing so many people on so many levels.    I had a successful business with a partner at the time, two small children to raise, a very busy husband,  family and friends who counted on me.  Who was I to think that anyone would embrace my life changing decision toward my dream?  Well most did.  My husband, sweet Billy, he gets me.  Which is of course important to a marriage, but he also gets that creativity is what motivates my every being.  And being the husband of someone who needs this creative outlet to remain sane is not always easy.  And although most of my family and friends were like "good for you, that sounds fun". I know there were rumblings about what in the world was I doing.  Comments like, She'snevergoingtomakeit.  Were always in the back of my head.

That was the first obstacle to overcome in order to realize this dream.....the acknowledging that this was what I wanted to do with my life and then the telling.  I knew in my heart that I was an artist.  And honestly I am quite confident in my skills and in my work.  Yep.   And yet confidence can also become a fear.   I am human and can easily allow my vulnerability to creep in and take over.  Especially when I start peeking into other artists lives via blogging.   Why must I compare myself  to others?  There is plenty of room for everyone out there in the creative circle.  Really there is.  In fact I go through periods where I just don't read blogs because I know that the fear is looming over me.  And honestly that is a time I need to be practicing courage and embracing my own art.  Of course some fear is quite healthy, it helps us grow, it means we are invested in what we are doing and don't want it taken away.  And truly in the end it opens doors when we are ready.

I am an optimist, a glass is half full kind of gal.  It's a nice trait to have.  And I really love the quote in the painting above, "keep looking up.  You are already becoming the person you want to be".  I am on that path and am really looking forward to the questions and opportunities this e-course will bring.  So readers, are you becoming who you want to be?

3 comments:

Calmil2 said...

Hi- I have a very similar story....I had a business and 2 small boys and we are in the process of adopting a little girl. About a year ago I lost a friend to suicide. She was my childhood best-friend and we discovered ART together in high school. After she died I had a dream and in it she was there and was proud of me for doing art again. So the next day I set up a small corner to start. I haven't made the full transition (and commitment) to doing art full time and hopefully making some sort of income....but it is my dream, so I am hopeful that someday that will happen :)
Love your work!!
Harmony

Dianne said...

I absolutely am... slowly, but surely!

gypsysticks said...

As a professional artist, I'm sure you may already be aware of these, but just in case, I thought I'd share -- your post made me think of how they helped me when I had doubts about calling myself an artist -- maybe some of your readers could benefit from them?

1. a book called, The Artist's Way: s spiritual path to higher creativity by Julia Cameron

2. a film called Who Does She Think She Is? produced and directed by Pamela Tanner Boll. (a documenatary about women/mothers trying to find themselves and succeed as artists)

continuing to be blessed by your blog and your art...

Related Posts with Thumbnails